Saturday, September 12, 2009

Sandwich Philosophy


Well, let's see, where should I begin? I suppose I should introduce myself first. Hi, I'm Kristen. I am a 41 year old mother of 4. And I love food. So much so that, at 39, I went back to school and got a culinary degree. I graduated with honors in August of 2008 and have been working as a chef and baker ever since. Right now I bake for an upscale restaurant in downtown Oklahoma City in Bricktown. It's called Nonna's. I just love it. But I have a dream. Actually, that is really where all this started. A dream......

A long time ago, in a land far away, Kodiak Island, Alaska actually. When I wasn't 41, more like 21, and only had one child, who is now full grown and out on his own, I started baking for the fun of it. I started to go through all my fathers cookbooks looking for fun and interesting things to both cook and bake. I xeroxed alot of the ones that interested me, cut them out and pasted them on cards to make a card file. This was before everyone had their own PCs and they could do all the neat-o things they can now. LOL!! I did all this because I wanted to have my own bakery/cafe someday. Well, 20 years and 3 more babies later, I still have that dream. I still want my own place. I got to thinking, a bit over 2 years ago, that if I was going to run my own food related business I should maybe get a bit of education about it. So I signed up and went to Culinary school. Thinking back on it now, I probably should have just gone and gotten a job in the industry, but I really did enjoy school, and am soooo glad I went. Well, just after graduation in August of 2008, my husband had a stroke. So, for now, I am working support our family. But the dream is still there. It is a dream I am striving at every day by learning and working hard. I am hoping this blog will be away of sharing and organizing my thoughts to get me moving more toward my dream.

Okay, I am sure you are asking, Why Sandwich Philosophy?, by now. Well.....it's pretty simple... I LOVE SANDWICHES!!!! To me there is nothing better in the world than to take a really nice bread and meat and sit down and fill your stomache with that which both feeds the belly and the soul for bread is the food of the soul, or so they say, LOL. So, in this journey, I will not only be exploring my dream but also sandwiches. I want to share my love of this simple, yet full filling food form. Cultures all over the world have some kind of sandwich. From the Gyro in Greece to the Baguette and hunk of cheese in France to the P.B.& J. in America. I will be eating, creating and dissecting these wonderfully delectable morsels of our collective bellies! I hope you will join me in my journey to a full tummy and a full filled dream.

More later gaters, K!

No comments:

Post a Comment